Monday, February 18, 2013

Renovations. . . Round Two


I thought I'd check in today with a glimpse at the progress made downstairs in hopes that it will inspire some of you who have also found yourself elbow deep in the less than glamorous parts of renovations.   Though I love coming home each day to find new surprises that "magically" appear, it's days like today (when I'm home ALL day) that I am reminded of all work, the mess, and the noise that goes into making something pretty.  
I wouldn't it trade it for the world; but I today I found myself wishing Ty Pennington would show up, whisk us away to Disney World and in 30 short T.V. minutes be ready to yell "Move that Bus!" They make it look so easy!
Regardless, I'm so very grateful for the talented men who (including my handsome husband) who have helped to get us this far.  

First, though, let's start with the fun part: treasure hunting!
Shopping days are, in my opinion, the best part of renovations.  In Michael's mind, not so much. Inevitabley these days mean more projects for his to-do list. 
This time was no different. 
My best flea market buddy (my mom) and I spent a very cold afternoon scouting out the last few things needed to bring it all together downstairs.
We hadn't been there five minutes when we spotted these 1920's doors.
A great deal, I thought, at $150!


Installed!
Now for the hardware....any ideas?

The same booth had these great old zinc pieces.  
I don't quite know what they'll be used for, but my first thought was that they'd make a gorgeous top for a few side tables.  


I guess I was on a roll with the zinc, because when we came across this old trough, I knew it was coming home with us!


I have something like this in mind:

{Atlanta Homes Magazine}

And if those options don't quite work out, well.....there's always Plan B:
{source unknown}
which looks just as lovely to me :)


Now for a glimpse at downstairs after today.  It's come a long way since my Last Post; but lots more messy days to come.  

We traded in small 1960's windows for lots of french doors and double 12 paned windows to let some of that gorgeous lake light in:




We added more beams and a WHOLE lot of sheetrock!



Michael surprised me with a beadboard ceiling on the soon-to-be screened porch.
(In true Southern style, it will, of course, be painted a Haint Blue)

Our closet doors looking very TALL!!

 And one last before and after.  MY what a difference a week makes!!

Though renovations are exciting and the before and afters are priceless, I'm looking forward to the days when we can start enjoying our home again rather than just working on it.  For now, though, I'm off to play with paint colors (for like the 42nd time this week!)
More on that later....
Link up some of your renovations - I'd love to see and get inspired :)
 XOXO,

5 comments:

  1. Your zinc trough is so cool! It is going to look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, just go to
    see this site all the time since it provides quality
    contents, thanks

    Here is my blog: Pages.Rediff.Com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAH. LOL about your Plan B. I usually start out with these fabulous ideas, then comes the Plan B!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Ι've been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the great job!

    Have a look at my web-site :: chemietoilette
    My web site > Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are such beautiful pieces you found with your buddy :) Love the zinc trough, so fun! I wonder how hard it is to clean? It such a stunning piece. It is all coming together so beautifully. Autumn from Design Dump did a post on her steals off ebay she is finding for her new home build. You should see what she has found and the prices! Ebay is going to be my new go-to from now on.

    ReplyDelete